Snow Angel No. 6: A helping hand at school
by Madasyn Czebiniak
Feb 02, 2014 | 4266 views |  0 comments | 66 66 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Byron Bibbs (Anniston Star photo by Stephen Gross)
Byron Bibbs (Anniston Star photo by Stephen Gross)
There was no doubt in Byron Bibbs’ mind what to do on Tuesday night when a Saks High School student who uses a wheelchair needed help getting home.

Even though Bibbs knew Destiny Turner’s father, Dale, was coming to pick her up, there was no way Turner could have gotten the student down the icy hill leading up to the school alone, Bibbs said. Because there were plenty of teachers watching over the other 200-plus students, Bibbs, an office worker and football coach at Saks High, figured he would help Turner get the 10th-grader home.

“They had told us he was coming to get her, but he couldn’t get close enough to the school because Saks Road was just completely iced over,” Bibbs said. “He was going to have to walk up and get her. Once they told me he was walking to come get her I knew I had to help him out.”

Dale Turner was at work when a Star reporter visited their Saks home Friday, but Charlotte Turner, Destiny’s mother, said she was grateful Bibbs offered to help.

“I was nervous and scared but I knew they were going to take good care of her,” Turner said.

What normally would have been a 10- to 15-minute walk to where Destiny’s father had parked his truck, took about an hour because of the icy conditions, Bibbs said. They ended up getting her down the first hill, but not without difficulty.

“It was just a complete sheet of ice,” Bibbs said. “We were slipping and sliding. She had her brakes on, but she was still sliding. We basically just kind of crawled down the hill, sliding her down a little bit at a time.”

While Bibbs was out, he also helped motorists stranded in the ice get their cars over to the side of the road.

Bibbs said that once he’d helped Turner get 16-year-old Destiny safely to their truck, he wanted to get right back up to the school so he could continue keeping an eye on the students.

“We really needed to get back and make sure we could get in touch with the parents, who were, as you can imagine, freaking out a little bit,” Bibbs said.

Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material

Friends to Follow

Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Monday, April 21, 2014