Auburn's Frost says he didn't sweat stinger
by Ryan Black
Nov 10, 2013 | 1667 views |  0 comments | 18 18 recommendations | email to a friend | print
AUBURN — Kris Frost has had hundreds of stingers in his career.

That’s why he didn’t panic when his arm went dead during the second quarter of Saturday’s 55-23 against Tennessee. Frost said that as soon as it happened, he was able to diagnose it himself.

“I mean, it just becomes a common thing,” the linebacker said after Sunday’s practice. “But yeah, I knew what was going on from the start, so I wasn't too worried about it, but it did hurt at the time.”

All Frost had to do was continue moving his arm around to “get the blood flowing” again. He returned later in the second period, finishing with three tackles (two solo, one assisted). Defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said Frost could have totaled far more takedowns than that.

“He was obviously favoring it a couple of times,” Johnson said. “He had more what I would call a broken tackle than a missed tackle (on the play he got injured).”

Johnson said because the Tigers had a no-contact practice Sunday, Frost should be fine going forward.

“There certainly wasn't any reason he couldn't practice,” Johnson said. “I think in another day he should be all right.”

As a precaution, however, he kept Frost on the sideline as much as he could after the stinger occurred.

“It wasn't anything like a shoulder separation, which we were very concerned about, because that's what happened with the other one,” he said. “It was just a stinger that had him out and caused him to play a lot less plays than I would normally play him. Jake (Holland) had more plays than he would normally play. I like to keep (the reps) pretty balanced, but they were not in that game.”

Frost wasn’t the only Tiger who played through a minor ailment Saturday. Jay Prosch received a bloody nose from a Tennessee defender after the unnamed Volunteer got a hand into his facemask. The senior was bleeding profusely enough that offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said it looked like Prosch “had been in a boxing match.”

Not that the Tigers’ starting fullback paid it much notice.

“Jay’s so tough he was in two or three plays later,” Lashlee said. “I don’t remember how many it was.”

Lashlee on touchdown return

Take the lion’s share of the blame off of Nick Marshall for his interception that was returned for a touchdown Saturday. Well, at least if you want to take Lashlee at his word.

The offensive coordinator took responsibility for what he deemed was a bad play call that saw the junior quarterback toss a second quarter pass right into the arms of Tennessee defensive end Jacques Smith, who returned it 18 yards for a touchdown.

“It was probably not the best call to put him in, so a lot of that falls on me,” Lashlee said. “I think the other thing, too, is the guy made a really good play. There are some things Nick could have done maybe differently, too. But at that point, it (had already) happened.”

What pleased Lashlee was how well Marshall responded following the wayward pass, leading the Tigers on a two-play 45-yard scoring drive — which saw the quarterback keep it himself on a 38-yard touchdown run — on the ensuing possession.

“You could tell in his mind he wasn't rattled,” Lashlee said. “At that point, it's more, 'Let's go on to the next play. Let's get the next thing done.' You don't want to let that play beat you on the next play and the next play. He and our team has done a great job all year.”
Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material

Friends to Follow

Most Recommended
Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Saturday, April 19, 2014