In its 33rd year, the Woodstock has steadily grown to become the largest road race in the county.
This got us to wondering about the state of running and its popularity across the United States. The numbers (via Running USA) are impressive.
Running USA's 2012 report found:
- 58 percent of 5K performers are female
- The average 5K finishing time for females is 34:09.
- The average 5K finishing time for males is 28:31.
- The average age of 5K competitors is 32.8 for women and 33.6 for men.
- As in 5Ks, more women than men compete in 10K races and half-marathons.
- The gender split in full marathons is 58 percent men and 42 percent women.
- The 2012 road race with the largest amount of finishers was the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Peachtree Road Race 10K with 58,043.
- No 5K races made the top 10 for 2012.
- In 2011, the largest 5K was the Hot Chocolate 5K in Chicago. It drew 18,636 finishers, ranking it the 24th most popular in the United States.