The announcement came Thursday at the Calhoun County Commission meeting after the commission approved a contract for Melissia Wood to take Robertson’s place. Wood’s contract begins on July 1. County Administrator Ken Joiner said the two-month overlap will help Wood adjust to the new job.
Although the commission will formally recognize Robertson for her service at her last meeting in August, the four commissioners in attendance took turns praising the outgoing assistant administrator.
“We appreciate everything you do, coming in on weekends, and making sure the budget all works, and things I don’t understand,” said Commission Chairman Rudy Abbott. “We’re going to miss you.”
Commissioner J.D. Hess also applauded the incoming assistant administrator, and said he thinks the commission will have a smooth transition.
“You can search the whole state of Alabama and not find two people like we have,” Hess said.
Wood previously worked in Cleburne County as a financial officer for 10 years. She said Thursday the Calhoun County job offered her an opportunity to work in a bigger area with more staff.
“It’s a much bigger county, and I’m excited to learn,” Wood said.
In other business, the commission:
• Approved an agreement with the city of Anniston to apply for a Justice Assistance Grant from the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs. If awarded, the county’s allotted portion of the $42,504 grant will be $12,751.
• Approved allotting $1,000 to Wellborn Baseball for Youth league for equipment and park maintenance
• Passed a resolution paying $9,000 to Community Enabler Developer to pay expenses for replacement of an air conditioner at the Sable Learning Center in Hobson City.
• Appointed Carolyn Stevens to the Calhoun County Beautification Board.
• Approved allotting $2,131 to the Snow Creek District Missionary Baptist Church for lawn care equipment.
• Declared nuisance abatements at 2604 Simpson St. and 3646 Old Downing Mill Road in Anniston.
• Dismissed nuisance abatements at 331 Hobson St. and 615 W. 41st St. in Anniston, and 327 Rocky Hollow Road in Jacksonville.
Staff writer Brian Anderson: 256-235-3546. On Twitter @BAnderson_Star.