NCAA to reveal decision on Mississippi State recruiting case Friday
by Associated Press
Jun 06, 2013 | 1236 views |  0 comments | 16 16 recommendations | email to a friend | print
STARKVILLE, Miss. — The NCAA is expected to announce its decision regarding an infractions case against Mississippi State's football program Friday morning.

Mississippi State revealed last fall that it was working with the NCAA because of "potential recruiting irregularities." MSU receivers coach Angelo Mirando surprisingly resigned Aug. 19 and the school announced the investigation days later, though it did not specifically link the two events.

Mississippi State disassociated from a booster in July because of "impermissible contact" with a recruit.

A Tennessee 7-on-7 football coach Byron De'Vinner has said he witnessed a payment of about $200 to a Mississippi State recruit and that Mirando knew about the payment.

The NCAA said in a statement Thursday afternoon that it would not comment on the decision until Friday's conference.

Mississippi State athletics director Scott Stricklin said earlier this week that he could not talk about specifics of the investigation, but that the school was taking the NCAA investigation seriously.

"We're always going to be aggressive at correcting (problems) and making sure we're doing things the right way," Stricklin said. "If there's something we think is there, we're going to pull the rug all the way back, find the issue and address it."

Mississippi State finished with an 8-5 record last season, winning its first seven games of the season before losing five of six, including a 34-20 loss to Northwestern in the Gator Bowl.

Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material


Friends to Follow



Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Marketplace