The fire occurred Tuesday morning in a house at 130 Stone St., according to Oxford police Chief Bill Partridge.
Partridge said he was first to arrive at the burning house, where a neighbor told him a man was still inside. Partridge said he went inside and found Franklin Odom lying on the floor in a hallway.
“The fire got too hot and the smoke was too heavy, so I had to come back out,” Partridge said.
The police chief said he wasn’t wearing any protective equipment, but shortly after, Sparks arrived and rescued Odom.
Sparks said Odom was airlifted to UAB Hospital.
Sparks, Partridge and two Oxford medics were taken to Regional Medical Center and treated for smoke inhalation.
Partridge was at work Wednesday and Sparks said he would return Thursday.
According to Sparks, the Alabama Fire Marshal’s Office ruled the fire an accident.
“Our prayers are with the family,” Sparks said. “We wish it would have turned out different.”