Beaten 5-year-old’s father prepares for funeral
by Rachael Brown
Aug 01, 2013 | 12960 views |  0 comments | 53 53 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Gregory Caver and his father, Robert Fuller. Submitted photo.
Gregory Caver and his father, Robert Fuller. Submitted photo.
India Latrice Kimble, left, and her boyfriend, Vonta Montrell McClellan. Both were charged Tuesday with capital murder.
India Latrice Kimble, left, and her boyfriend, Vonta Montrell McClellan. Both were charged Tuesday with capital murder.
A funeral service for a 5-year-old Anniston boy who was beaten to death last week will be held Saturday in Mobile.

Gregory Caver died Friday. Calhoun County District Attorney Brian McVeigh said Caver was beaten with a belt for wetting the bed. The incident occurred at a home on the 2400 block of Wilmer Avenue.

Caver’s mother, India Latrice Kimble, 28, and her boyfriend, Vonta Montrell McClellan, 26, both of Anniston, were charged Tuesday with capital murder in the child’s death.

McClellan and Kimble were both in the Calhoun County Jail today. Circuit Judge Debra Jones revoked their bonds, according to Eli Henderson, Calhoun County circuit clerk.

Robert Fuller, who lives in Mobile, described his son as having an “old man soul.” The boy was known as “Man Man” because of his concern for others, Fuller said, and always made sure his family was OK.

“I taught him to be the man of the house. He would give anyone the shirt off his back,” Fuller said.

Caver was scheduled to start kindergarten this year, Fuller said, and couldn’t wait to go to school. The father said Caver loved to read and always wanted to know the definition of new words.

“He wanted to learn, and he talked about (school) a lot,” he said.

Fuller said he did not know whether Caver and his two daughters, who all lived with Kimble in Anniston, had been abused prior to Friday. The few phone conversations he had with his children were always supervised by their mother, he said.

Fuller said the last time he saw his children was July 18 when he came to Anniston. Online court records show a child support hearing scheduled for that date.

“I just wanted to be able to see my kids on holidays. She wouldn’t let me call my kids on their birthdays,” Fuller said.

Kimble moved from Mobile to Anniston last year to be with McClellan, Fuller said. The couple met online, he said, while McClellan was in prison for a previous crime.

Fuller said he tried to talk Kimble out of moving to Anniston with his children because he was uneasy about their safety.

“She didn’t do what she was supposed to do as a mother. I know she loved them in a sense, but if you put a man over your kids, I don’t know where your love is,” he said.

The father said he blames Kimble for not stopping the beating or getting help for their son.

“My baby was helpless. He was 5. The way he went out, that hurts me the most,” Fuller said. “I’ve got to live with that pain, that my baby got beaten to death.”

Fuller said he looks forward to being united with his two daughters in Mobile on Friday, but described holding a viewing for his only son as a nightmare.

“He was an angel on earth already,” he said.

The viewing will be held Friday from 1 to 8 p.m. at Small’s Funeral Home in Mobile. The funeral will be held Saturday morning at the True Light Baptist Church. Visitation with family will be from 9 to 11 a.m., the funeral service will follow.

Staff Writer Rachael Brown: 256-235-3562. On Twitter @RBrown_Star.

Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material

Friends to Follow

Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Wednesday, April 23, 2014